The History of Coachman’s Park
Coachman's Park is positioned on the corner of Queen Street and Charles Hackett Drive.
Charles Hackett Drive was named after a member of the Hackett family. In the 1960s and 1970s the park was called “Rotary Park” and sometimes “Hingerty Park” but in 1976 officially became “Coachman’s Park”.
Coachman's Park, Queen Street and Charles Hackett Drive St Marys in 1960
Estimated taken 1960s
Photograph from Penrith Library Collection
Charles Hackett Drive
Charles Hackett Drive was named after a member of the Hackett family. He was the son of convict James Hackett sent to Australia in 1826 for horse stealing. “Charlie” as he was known inherited most of the estate from James who owned a big portion of land from Queen Street to South Creek.
In 1937 a part of the old Hackett racecourse paddock abutting South Creek was sold subdividing this area from Queen Street. In the 1960s and 1970s the park was called “Rotary Park” due to the efforts of the St Marys Rotary Club to keep the park in good condition.
The Council had originally named the park “Hingerty Park” but in 1976 officially became “Coachman’s Park” associating it with the Bennett Wagon works in Queen Street.
In 1984 Council remodelled the park with paving, pergolas, park seating and landscaping throughout with funding through the Community Employment Program. In 2013, after community consultations, Council redesigned the park with inclusion of public artworks reflecting St Marys’ industrial and Aboriginal heritage.
Charles Albert Hackett
Image estimated from 1940’s
Photo courtesy of Lyn Forde
Interview with Phil Martin
Researcher: Lyn Forde St Marys & District Historical Society Research Officer
Lyn Forde is 56% English/Scottish, 19% Irish and 25% European. She is a 7th generation Australian with two First Fleeters connected to Ropes Crossing. Lyn was born in Penrith, lived in St Marys, Kingswood and now lives in Werrington. She went to St Marys Public School, St Marys High School and Penrith Business College. Lyn retired in 2005 working in administration.
Lyn is divorced and a great grandmother of four. She has researched local history since the 1970’s and she is a contributor of the History Page in the local Nepean News. Lyn was a Secretary of the first St Marys Historical Society and currently a Research Officer & Vice-President. She is also a member of Encore Historical Sewing Group at St Marys Corner. Lyn has researched and self-published several books on local history, it is the area where she feels at home and where she can research her earlier family and community connections.
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
- Back to QSRT 2018 - Windows on Queen Project