Jim Mills Menswear Shop

Penrith City Council Logo

Jim Mills Menswear Shop, opened in 1956. The shop was originally 2 smaller shops which were purchased by Jim and wife (Enid) converted into one.

Jim Mills

Download the Jim Mills poster (pdf 322kb)

Shop 195 (left side of photo) had previously been a Pet Supply Store (W.J. Davis) and a Baby's Wear Shop (“Alice Faye Tiny Tots' & Children's Wear”).

 Jim Mills Menswear Shop

Always First with the Latest Fashions, Jim Mills Menswear Shop on 193/95 Queen Street
Photograph by Paul Mills, 1972
Private collection, Paul Mills

Jim Mills Family 1956

Jim Mills and his children Paul and Rhonda inside his shop at193 Queen Street. The photo taken the year the shop opened in 1956.
1956, unknown photographer
Source: Private collection by Paul Mills

Jim Mills Newspaper Advertisement

Newspaper advertisement - Jim Mills Mercer and Draper
Date 8 March 1956

Source: Nepean Times

Newspaper Advertisement announcing opening of Jim Mills Mercer and Draper shop.

The business name was later changed to Jim Mills Men's and Boys Wear in the early 1960's. Before opening the shop Jim hawked his wares around the district door to door. He built up a good following of very loyal customers, some of whom still purchased clothes in the store up until it closed its doors in 2010.

Jim Mills Menswear Shop 2000

Jim Mills Mensland Shop
Photograph by Paul Mills, 2000

Source: Private collection of Paul Mills

Photo of shop taken after shop refit, Shop names changed to “Jim Mills Mensland” after joining the Mensland buying group. Mensland Associated Retailers Ltd, was set up by a group of retailers (Australia wide) who joined together to provide better buying power.  All stores were still privately owned.

Jim Mills Menswear Shop 2006

Jim Mills Mensland new signage
Photograph by Paul Mills, 2006

Source: Private collection of Paul Mills

Photo of front of shop after new signage to reflect the Surf Wear scene (shutter doors were air brushed with a surf scene to reduce Graffiti). Note Mick Fanning (World Champion Surfboard rider) in image on sign above awning, Mick Fanning was born when his family were living in the district. Another piece of history for surfing buffs is that Gordon Merchant the founding owner of the “Billabong” surf-wear label grew up in St Marys and attended both St Marys Public and St Marys High Schools.

 Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun, 193-95 Queen Street, St Marys
2012, photographer unknown
Source: Son of a Gun Web Page

This is a photo of the current business now occupying 193-195 Queen Street. The business opened c. 2011 after the closure of “Jim Mills Mensland” in September 2010.

Surf Wear signage still above awning.

 Paul Mills Eric Kent

Paul Mills (left) and Eric Kent (right) examining an early map of Queen Street St Marys during a visit to the State Archives, Kingswood NSW, November 2017.

Interview with Paul Mills

Researcher: Paul Mills

Paul was born in Griffith N.S.W. He moved with family to St Marys in 1954 when his parents decided to open their own business. Paul attended both local schools, St Marys Public and St Marys High School. He worked from a very early age in dad’s Menswear shop and after leaving school worked full time. Paul worked 44 years in the one job.

After retirement Paul and his wife Margaret joined St Marys and District Historical Society, Paul is also involved with the Nepean Men's Shed where he teaches Pyrography (Woodburning). Many examples of his work can be found in various places around the Australia.

Back to QSRT 2018 - Windows on Queen Project