Fleming's Corner Shop
Fleming’s Corner Store was a disposal store which sold industrial clothing and footwear.
After changing hands many times, on 13 April 1950 the property was sold to Maurice Edward Renshaw who was a Medical Practitioner.
Fleming's Corner Shop St Marys
Photographer and date unknown
Source: Penrith City Library photographic collection
Professionals Real Estate Agency St Marys, historical location of Fleming's Corner Shop St Marys
Photographer Caroline Volkiene, 2017
Source: St Marys & District Historical Society
Fleming's Corner Shop
Fleming's Corner Shop was located on the western side of Queen Street on the corner with Crana Street. It was a disposal store which sold industrial clothing and footwear. In 1974, records from Penrith City Council name the owner as J. & G. Bragar.
Prior to 1974 a 1943 aerial map shows a house, owner unknown, on this site.
Between 1944 and 1950 records show a number of transfers took place on this property.
Finally on the 13th April 1950 the property was sold to Maurice Edward Renshaw, Medical Practitioner. At the time Dr. Renshaw had rooms on the corner of the Great Western Highway and Queen Street and planned to move into the new premises. Part of this land was transferred to a Mr Cohen on the 26th June 1953.
The Renshaw Medical Centre is currently sited on the portion of land around the corner in Crana Street.
This site was part of 600 acres originally granted to Mary Putland, daughter of the 4th Governor of New South Wales Captain William Bligh RN, by Crown Grant dated the 1st day of January 1806.
Interview with Caroline Volkiene
Researcher: Caroline Volkiene
Caroline is a descendant of the Hackett family, one of the older families in St Marys.
Caroline grew up in one of the “Duration Cottages” at the highway end of Carinya Ave.
Born and raised in St Marys she attended St Marys Public School then St Marys High School. For many years Caroline was a student at the local Cuckson’s Bodenwieser School of Dance. She also attended Sunday School and Church in the old Methodist Church that once stood on Queen Street.
In 1972 Caroline was married there - the marriage ceremony was the last one performed as the church was demolished later that year. Her wedding reception was held in Sirrah House (now the Major Oak). The couple bought a home in South St Marys and raised three children there. During these growing years the children participated in rugby league, softball, netball and music. They also became involved by helping out in the steak/drinks tent and later on various committees or as coaches, scorers and referees/umpires. Caroline’s working career was in Office Administration.
Caroline is a member of St Marys & District Historical Society and enjoys the many shared memories about growing up in St Marys. By recording and sharing these stories, photographs and memorabilia of those past St Marians’ she believes it helps keep alive the spirit of the many people who have contributed and believed in this place.
Caroline is particularly interested in sharing memories of her growing up in St Marys during the 1950s and 1960s as it was a very special time.
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
- Back to QSRT 2018 - Windows on Queen Project