Penrith City Council is committed to making this website as accessible as possible for all our visitors, including people using our site with:
- assistive technologies such as screen readers
- mobile devices
- various browsers and
- slower internet connections.
We are striving to make our website comply with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 (to at least Level AA), in line with the Australian Government's National Transition Strategy. Compliance with this standard has been achieved through practical implementation during the design and development of the website, user testing and ongoing updates and maintenance.
As the majority of creative content on this website is visual some pages on our website include embedded media such as Google Maps, YouTube videos and slideshows. The accessibility of these media cannot be guaranteed, however an accessible alternative is always made available where possible.
Using this website
Adjusting the text size
You can adjust the zoom level of the website to increase or decrease the size of all objects, images and text by using the following keyboard commands:
- Hold down the CTRL key (Microsoft Windows) or the ‘Apple’ key (Mac OS X) on your keyboard
- Use the + or – key, or scroll with your mouse wheel to zoom in or out
- Keep repeating step 2 until the website is at a suitable size.
This website allows full tab-based navigation. The website has a main menu with navigation to the core parts of the website (e.g. Projects, Galleries, Blog, About Us).
- When you are on a menu item or link, pressing enter will take you to that page
- Pressing enter on a main menu item will take you to that page
- Pressing enter on a submenu item take you to that page
- Holding down ‘shift’ as you tab will take you through the tab cycle in reverse order
Other navigation aids
- ‘Skip to’ links are available to navigate through pages and sections on the website.
- You can ‘Skip to Content’, ‘Skip to navigation’, ‘Skip to Submenu’, 'Search', 'Accessibility Statement', 'Home' and 'Contact Us'.
Note that Skip-tos are initially invisible on the website, but they can be tabbed to and will appear on screen when tabbed to.
Breadcrumbs are included on all pages of the website except the homepage. These are a series of links that show you your trail back to the homepage from the section you are in. They are always located above the main heading of the page.
This website includes proper use of headings that can be navigated through depending on the navigation settings of your screen reader.
Whenever possible, links have been written meaningfully to make sense when read out of context, such as by a screen reader.
Images and graphics
All images and graphics that convey information include a descriptive "alt" attribute (alt text) to convey the same information. Some images and graphics are only for decoration purposes, and as such, they do not have an alt attribute, or it has intentionally been left empty, or set to 'decorative image'.
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia